Friday, August 6, 2010

Sailing = Sanity and Serenity!


















Voyage Date: 8-4-10
Departure: 5:45 p.m.
Arrrival: 7:30 p.m.
Conditions: Wind SW 8-10 kts, 90F
Sailing to me conjures up a lot of things in my mind: serenity, spontaneity, symphony, tranquility, sanity, relaxation, peace of mind, paradise, adrenaline...
When 5:00 rolled around today while I was fueling up my SUV, I perpicaciously noticed the cool wind on my cheek and the vision of the leaves dancing on the trees bekoning me like sirens to go sailing today. I checked radar and wind on my Blackberry and the conditions were perfect, no isolated cells and wind 8-10 kts: an ideal idyll! The sailing starts are in alignment once again! What I frequently envision in my mind, was about to become a reality. I would again be on the lake soon enjoying what I love to do: SAIL!
When I arrived at my slip, I soon entered a transcendental zen state of mind. I grabbed my cooler for hydration, first aid kit, tools, and began to unfurl the sails to set up my rigging for a late afternoon sail at Salem Lake. I love these sojourns! I was sailing within 45 min of the spontaneous moment I felt the wind on my face and decided capriciously that the time was right! Spontaneity is a good thing!
As I departed my slip I soon realized as Christopher Cross sings in "Sailing " "If the wind is right you can sail away and find serenity..."
These lyrics to me are a metaphor for life: it is important to get away from the monotony of life and set yourself free and find paradise within yourself. Sailing is so serene to me, it was a perfect day! You know when you say to yourself, if I died right now and that would be ok, you are in the right place mentally and spiritually! As I transition through life, I savor every moment! Sailing helps me recapture the true joy and innocence of childhood. It is easy to become jaded and cynical as one grows older! Not me baby! Carpe diem!
I have attached two links one of the "Sailing" music video and one with lyrics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTQWZfi1_Bw
"Its not far down to paradise
At least it's not for me
And if the wind is right you can sail away
and find tranquility
The canvas can do miracles
Just you wait and see
Believe me
It's not to far to never, never land
No reason to pretend
And if the wind is right you find the joy
Of innocence again
The canvas can do miracles
Just you wait and see
Believe me
Sailing
Takes me away
To where I've always heard it could be
Just a dream and the wind to carry me
And soon I will be free
Fantasy
It gets the best of me
When I am sailing
All caught up in the reverie
Every word is a symphony
Won't you believe me
It's not far back to sanity
At least it's not for me
If the wind is right you can sail away
And find serenity
The canvas can do miracles
Just you wait and see
Believe me
Thank you Lord for allowing me to sail another day!

See videos of today's sail below:
References made to legs below: Salem Lake Regatta triangular course
Video 1: beam reach starboard tack leg 3
Video 2: close reach port tack leg 2 v cloud sun symetry
Video 3: close reach port tack leg 2 4.5 kt clip
Video 4: close reach port tack leg 2 see reflection of passing illuminated water in starboard cabin window, I love the play of the light dancing on the water!

No comments:

Post a Comment